Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Award winners announced
HILTON HEAD, S.C. - The Association of Union Constructors (TAUC) on May 16 announced the winners of the annual Thomas J. Reynolds Awards for Excellence in Construction Safety and Health during a special ceremony at the 2012 TAUC Leadership Conference in Hilton Head, South Carolina.
The awards were created in 1983 by TAUC's predecessor organization, the National Erectors Association (NEA), to recognize and commend the exceptional efforts made by members to prevent the occurrence of serious injury - or worse - on the jobsite. Winners are recognized for achieving a zero DART (Days Away, Restricted or Transferred) rate in one of four categories.
In 1988, the awards program was renamed to honor long-serving NEA member Thomas J. Reynolds. A U.S. Navy veteran, Reynolds spent more than forty years in the construction industry, starting out as a union ironworker, boilermaker and millwright. From 1955 to 1976 he held a variety of high-level safety positions at Bethlehem Steel, culminating in his appointment as Supervisor of Plant Protection and Safety at the company's Burns Harbor, Indiana facility. He went on to serve as Corporate Manager of Safety for Morrison Construction Company for many years. In 1986, Mr. Reynolds was invited by Labor Secretary William Brock to join OSHA's Advisory Committee on Construction Safety and Health, becoming the first NEA member to participate on this prestigious panel.
The winners of this year's Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards are as follows.
- Atlantic Plant Services, Inc.
- Cherne Contracting Corporation
- Harder Mechanical Contractors, Inc.
- Kiewit Power Constructors Co.
- RMF Nooter, Inc.
- Williams Specialty Services, LLC
Category Two: 500,000 - 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Atlas Industrial Contractors
- Brand Energy Services, LLC
- McGraw/Kokosing, Inc.
- Performance Mechanical, Inc.
- Power Process Piping, Inc.
- Ryan & Associates, Inc.
- Scheck Mechanical Corporation
Category Three: 100,000 - 499,999 Hours Worked
- Dearborn Mid-West Conveyor Company
- George Young Company
- GVH Environmental, Inc.
- ISG dba Universal Blastco
- M & O Insulation Company
- MC Industrial
- Meccon Industries, Inc.
- New England Insulation
- Piping & Equipment Company
- Professional Construction Services, LLC
- Rand Construction Company
- Scheck Industrial
- The State Group Industrial (USA) Limited
Category Four: Less than 99,999 Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Anderson Industrial Construction Company
- Custom Service Crane, Inc.
- Delta Nooter
- Douglas Steel Erection Company
- Scheck Mechanical Wisconsin Corporation
- Scheck Technical Services, Inc.
- Shelby Mechanical, Inc.
Certificate of Achievement WinnersIn addition, 44 companies received Certificates of Achievement for posting a DART rate of 25% or more below the national average, as calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those companies receiving certificates were:
- Alberici Constructors
- Alberici Global Automotive Group, LLC
- AmQuip Crane Rental LLC
- APComPower, Inc.
- APi Construction Co.
- APi Electric Company
- Atlantic Plant Maintenance
- Babcock & Wilcox Construction Co., Inc.
- Barton Malow Company
- Bruce & Merrilees Electric Company
- Construction & Turnaround Services, LLC
- Day & Zimmermann NPS, Inc.
- EMCOR Hyre Electric Co. of Indiana, Inc.
- Enerfab Corporation
- Fluor Constructors International, Inc.
- Frank Lill & Son, Inc.
- Gribbins Insulation Company
- Hayes Mechanical Inc.
- Helmkamp Construction Company
- Henderson Services, LLC
- Ideal Contracting, LLC
- Independence Excavating, Inc.
- Industrial Contractors Skanska
- J.J. White, Inc.
- JH Kelly, LLC
- Kelley Steel Erectors, Inc.
- McCarl's Inc.
- Midwest Steel, Inc.
- Minnotte Contracting
- Morrison Construction Company
- Nooter Construction Company
- Pioneer Pipe, Inc.
- Power Maintenance & Constructors
- Ragan Mechanical, Inc.
- S.M. Electric Company, Inc.
- Sachs Electric Company
- Solid Platforms, Inc.
- Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Inc.
- Superior Construction Company, Inc.
- The American Group of Constructors
- Tranco Industrial Services, Inc.
- Triangle Enterprises, Inc.
- United Anco Services, Inc.
- Williams Plant Services, LLC
Awards were given based on work performances during the 2011 calendar year. All direct-hire work-hours under all collective bargaining agreements were eligible.
For additional information on the Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards, click here.