Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards winners announced
HALF MOON BAY, CA - The Association of Union Constructors (TAUC) on May 7 announced the winners of the annual Thomas J. Reynolds Awards for Excellence in Construction Safety and Health during a special ceremony at the 2014 TAUC Leadership Conference at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay near San Francisco, California.
The awards were created in 1983 by TAUC's predecessor organization, the National Erectors Association (NEA), to recognize and commend the exceptional efforts made by members to prevent the occurrence of serious injury - or worse - on the jobsite. Winners are recognized for achieving a zero DART (Days Away, Restricted or Transferred) rate in one of four categories.
In 1988, the awards program was renamed to honor long-serving NEA member Thomas J. Reynolds. A U.S. Navy veteran, Reynolds spent more than forty years in the construction industry, starting out as a union ironworker, boilermaker and millwright. From 1955 to 1976 he held a variety of high-level safety positions at Bethlehem Steel, culminating in his appointment as Supervisor of Plant Protection and Safety at the company's Burns Harbor, Indiana facility. He went on to serve as Corporate Manager of Safety for Morrison Construction Company for many years. In 1986, Mr. Reynolds was invited by Labor Secretary William Brock to join OSHA's Advisory Committee on Construction Safety and Health, becoming the first NEA member to participate on this prestigious panel.
This year, 73 contractors received Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards. These winners amassed more than 83 million work hours with 94 DART Cases in 2013. The average DART Rate of these TAUC members was an astounding .23 for 2013, well under the BLS National Average of 2.0 and a significant reduction from the .306 posted last year.
The winners of this year's Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards are as follows.
Winners in Categories 1-4
Category One: Over 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Broadway Electric Service Corporation
- Harder Mechanical Contractors, Inc.
- Performance Mechanical, Inc.
- RMF Nooter, Inc.
- Walbridge Aldinger Company
- Williams Plant Services, LLC
Category Two: 500,000 - 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Atlas Industrial Contractors, LLC
- Brand Energy Services, LLC
- Corval Constructors, Inc.
- Scheck Mechanical Corporation
Category Three: 100,000 - 499,999 Hours Worked
- Anderson Electric, Inc.
- Dearborn Mid-West Conveyor
- DLZ Industrial, LLC
- George V. Hamilton, Inc.
- Gribbins Insulation Company
- Henderson Services, LLC
- Lytle Electric Company
- M & O Environmental Company
- McGraw/Kokosing, Inc.
- Meccon Industries, Inc.
- Piping & Equipment Company
- Power Process Piping, Inc.
- Pritchard Electric Company, Inc.
- Rand Construction Company
- Scheck Industrial
- Shelby Mechanical, Inc.
- Simakas Company, Inc.
- The State Group Industrial (USA) Limited
- Thermal Solutions, Inc.
- Walbridge Equipment Installations
Category Four: Less than 99,999 Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Anderson Industrial Construction Company
- CSC Industrial LLC
- Delta Nooter
- Douglas Steel Erection Company
- GVH Environmental, Inc.
- Norris Brothers Company, Inc.
- Scheck Mechanical Wisconsin Corporation
- Scheck Technical Services, Inc.
Certificate of Achievement Winners
In addition, 35 companies received Certificates of Achievement for posting a DART rate of 25% or more below the national average, as calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those companies receiving certificates were:
- Alberici Constructors
- AmQuip Crane Rental LLC
- Babcock & Wilcox Construction Co., Inc.
- Barton Malow Company
- BMW Constructors, Inc.
- Bowen Engineering Corporation
- Bruce & Merrilees Electric Company
- Chemsteel Construction Company
- Commercial Contracting Corporation
- Correct Construction, Inc.
- Graycor Industrial Constructors Inc.
- Helmkamp Construction Company
- Ideal Contracting, LLC
- Industrial Contractors Skanska
- J.J. White, Inc.
- Kiewit Power Constructors Co.
- M & O Insulation Company
- Matrix North American Construction Inc.
- Matrix SME
- MC Industrial
- McCarl's Inc.
- Midwest Steel, Inc.
- Minnotte Contracting
- Nooter Construction Company
- Performance Contracting, Inc.
- Pioneer Pipe, Inc.
- Power Piping Company
- Ryan & Associates, Inc.
- Sargent Electric Company
- Solid Platforms, Inc.
- Superior Construction Company, Inc.
- The American Group of Constructors
- Triangle Enterprises, Inc.
- White Electrical Construction Company
- Williams Specialty Services, LLC
Awards were given based on work performances during the 2013 calendar year. All direct-hire work-hours under all collective bargaining agreements were eligible. For additional information on the Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards, click here.