Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Award Winners Announced
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Association of Union Constructors (TAUC) on May 13 announced the winners of the annual Thomas J. Reynolds Awards for Excellence in Construction Safety and Health during a special ceremony at the 2015 TAUC Leadership Conference at the Belmond Charleston Place in Charleston, S.C.
The awards were created in 1983 by TAUC's predecessor organization, the National Erectors Association (NEA), to recognize and commend the exceptional efforts made by members to prevent the occurrence of serious injury - or worse - on the jobsite. Winners are recognized for achieving a zero DART (Days Away, Restricted or Transferred) rate in one of four categories.
In 1988, the awards program was renamed to honor long-serving NEA member Thomas J. Reynolds. A U.S. Navy veteran, Reynolds spent more than forty years in the construction industry, starting out as a union ironworker, boilermaker and millwright. From 1955 to 1976 he held a variety of high-level safety positions at Bethlehem Steel, culminating in his appointment as Supervisor of Plant Protection and Safety at the company's Burns Harbor, Indiana facility. He went on to serve as Corporate Manager of Safety for Morrison Construction Company for many years. In 1986, Mr. Reynolds was invited by Labor Secretary William Brock to join OSHA's Advisory Committee on Construction Safety and Health, becoming the first NEA member to participate on this prestigious panel.
This year, 80 contractors received Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards. These winners amassed more than 88 million work hours with 128 DART Cases in 2014. The average DART Rate of these TAUC members was an astounding .29 for 2014, well under the BLS National Average of 2.2.
The winners of this year's Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards are as follows.
Winners in Categories 1-4
Category One: Over 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Commercial Contracting Corporation
- Harder Mechanical Contractors, Inc.
- Scheck Mechanical Corporation
- Superior Construction Company, Inc.
- Walbridge Aldinger Company
Category Two: 500,000 - 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Beltline Electric Co., Inc.
- Brand Energy Services, LLC
- Corval Constructors, Inc.
- EMCOR Hyre Electric Co. of Indiana, Inc.
- Ryan & Associates, Inc.
- Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Inc.
- White Electrical Construction Company
Category Three: 100,000 - 499,999 Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Advanced Specialty Contractors, LLC
- Amex Nooter LLC
- Anderson Electric, Inc.
- Capital Electric Construction
- Cornerstone Services Group, LLC
- Dearborn Mid-West Company
- DLZ Industrial, LLC
- George V. Hamilton, Inc.
- Gribbins Insulation Company
- Henderson Services, LLC
- ISG dba Universal Blastco Compositech
- Lytle Electric Company
- MC Industrial
- National Steel Erection, Inc.
- New States Contracting, LLC
- Niles Industrial Coatings
- Norris Brothers Company, Inc.
- Rand Construction Company
- Scheck Industrial
- Shelby Mechanical, Inc.
- Simakas Company, Inc.
- The Pangere Corporation
- Thermal Solutions, Inc.
Category Four: Less than 99,999 Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Anderson Industrial Construction Company
- Douglas Steel Erection Company
- GVH Environmental, Inc.
- Scheck Technical Services, Inc.
- Vertical Access Solutions, LLC
Certificate of Achievement Winners
In addition, 39 companies received Certificates of Achievement for posting a DART rate of 25% or more below the national average, as calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those companies receiving certificates were:
- Advanced Industrial Services, LLC
- Alberici Constructors
- AmQuip Crane Rental LLC
- Atlantic Contracting & Specialties, LLC
- Atlas Industrial Contractors, LLC
- Babcock & Wilcox Construction Co., Inc.
- Barton Malow Company
- Black Swamp Steel, Inc.
- Broadway Electric Service Corporation
- Bruce & Merrilees Electric Company
- Central Rent-A-Crane, Inc.
- Cherne Contracting Corporation
- Construction & Turnaround Services, LLC
- Correct Construction, Inc.
- Enerfab Corporation
- Enerfab Electric, Inc.
- Graycor Industrial Constructors Inc.
- Helmkamp Construction Company
- Ideal Contracting, LLC
- Imperial Crane Services, Inc.
- Independence Excavating, Inc.
- Industrial Contractors Skanska
- International Industrial Contracting Corporation
- J.J. White, Inc.
- Kiewit Power Constructors Co.
- M & O Insulation Company
- Matrix North American Construction Inc.
- McCarl's Inc.
- Morrison Construction Company
- Nooter Construction Company
- Performance Contracting, Inc.
- Pioneer Pipe, Inc.
- Piping & Equipment Company
- Precision Environmental Co.
- RMF Nooter, Inc.
- Sargent Electric Company
- Solid Platforms, Inc.
- The American Group of Constructors
- Triangle Enterprises, Inc.
Awards were given based on work performances during the 2014 calendar year. All direct-hire work-hours under all collective bargaining agreements were eligible. For additional information on the Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards, click here.